If you are suffering from glaucoma, come in to see our optometrist, Dr. Howard Budner and our team for care. You may have many questions and concerns so our team is here to offer you the very best access to the care and guidance you need.
What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma refers to a range of eye conditions that result in damage to the optic nerve and is often caused by abnormally high pressure in the eye. This condition can be hard to prevent and, in some cases, may lead to blindness. The best solution for avoiding the harmful effects of glaucoma is early detection and treatment.
What Glaucoma Treatment Is Available?
When you come in to see our optometrist, we will work with you to find your best treatment. Glaucoma treatment may involve one or a variety of solutions. Your treatment may include one or several of the following. Eye Drops:
Eye drops are a common treatment because they improve the movement of fluid within the eye which has positive effects on vision. Prescription eye drops include beta blockers, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, prostaglandins, and alpha-adrenergic agonists. Oral Medications:
Oral medications are sometimes also an option, especially for symptom relief. These medications can help to reduce the pressure in the eye which generally leads to glaucoma. This is often done with an oral carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Surgery:
Surgical procedures are available for many patients. These include laser therapy, filtering surgery, drainage tube additions, and electrocautery.
Managing Your Glaucoma
Even with these glaucoma treatment options, some people may struggle to deal with glaucoma on a daily basis. It is best to follow your treatment plan as closely as possible. Keep these tips in mind for managing glaucoma:
- Talk to friends and family.
- Tell your doctor if you experience any changes in your condition. It is important to be aware of this as medications have potential side effects.
- Educate yourself on glaucoma and how it develops. It is also important to know what you should expect.
- Enjoy a healthy lifestyle. Getting exercise, eating a well-balanced diet, and taking care of your eye health can help improve your condition and overall health.
- Limit your caffeine intake since this can raise eye pressure. Also, try sleeping with your head elevated about 20 degrees.
Most importantly, if you feel that you may be experiencing symptoms of this condition, do hesitate to schedule an appointment with Dr. Howard Budner. The longer you wait to seek treatment, the more difficult it is to combat glaucoma. Let our team help you today!
For residents in the Fairfax and Rockville areas, contact Dr. Howard Budner & Associates Optometrists. We are licensed optometrists with the latest treatment options for glaucoma. Let our team provide you with the care and treatment you deserve!